Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pollo alla Diavola

sounds fancy, but everything sounds fancier in Italian. In English this is simply a bbq'd chicken dish. (I hope you keep reading anyway because it's delicious.)

After Everyday Food magazine my next favorite magazines are the Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications (I have been collecting them since 1998!). I picked up the newest issue last week and it is all about Italian!!! This dish is my first attempt at a recipe from there and it happened by chance, chicken legs were on sale at Save-On Foods for $1.50 / lb. There are many more recipes I am eager to try though, so stay posted for all those.

Pollo alla Diavola

1 3lb whole broiler-fryer chicken (I cheated and used just chicken legs)
1 bunch fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley (Picked fresh from my sister's garden, yum)
1 bunch fresh thyme (Picked fresh from my garden, yum)
1 bunch fresh rosemary (Picked fresh from my garden, yum)
1/2 cup olive oil
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I used less because I am a wimp)

Step 1
Described how to butterfly a chicken. Since I didn't do that (I am lazy), I am not going to type it out (I am lazy). It says to put it in a 9x13 pan, I used a large ziplock bag, my go to for marinating (I am lazy, why clean that mess when you can just toss it?)

Step 2
I cheated again, you are supposed to make a brush out of some of the fresh herbs, but I didn't (I am lazy). And really, why would I do that when I have a fantastic long handled brush made just for reaching the back of the bbq so you don't burn yourself?

Step 3
For the marinade (ok, I am finally getting somewhere), combine 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1 tablespoon of chopped thyme, 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary, 1/4 cup oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the lemon slices, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Pour over chicken and then massage it until coated. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. (I let it marinate for 10 hours and flipped it a couple of times.)

Step 4
For brush on mixture, combine the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, 4 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Cover and chill until ready to use.

Step 5
Drain chick, discarding marinade and lemon slices (easy peasy thanks to that ziplock). Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect grilling. Place chicken skin side down on grill rack over burner that is off. Cover and grill for about 1 hour (until the chicken is done). Brush with mixture during the last 10 minutes of grilling time.
 
 
 
 
 
RATINGS:
Heather - 10 - "Really great flavour"
Brad - 10 - "Definite WINNER"

NOTES:
This recipe is amazing, I plan on making it again next week for company.
 
I think that my chicken looks almost as good as the one in the magazine.
 
My only disappointment, and I may have mentioned this before, I hate recipes that don't tell you when an ingredient is divided.




No comments: