Saturday, October 11, 2014

Chocolate Zucchini Banana Muffins

I can't believe it - I forgot to take a photo of this one!!

This came from the blog Grumpys Honeybunch
http://www.grumpyshoneybunch.com/2009/08/chocolate-banana-zucchini-muffins.html?
but was originally from All Recipes
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Zucchini-Muffins/Detail.aspx

Cut and pasted here for convenience:
Chocolate Banana Zucchini Muffin
adapted from allrecipes.com (per the advise of one reviewer)

3 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 mashed bananas
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or line two 12 cup muffin tins.


In a large bowl beat the eggs. Beat in the sugar, oil and banana. Add the cocoa, vanilla, zucchini and stir well.


Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom. Mix until just moist.


Pour batter into prepared muffin tins filling 2/3 of the way full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool.



I thought these were pretty good.  My biggest pet peeve with these is that they look just like chocolate cupcakes and so I was constantly expecting more of a cake taste with threw me off completely.  Husband of Cheerios thought they were good but would be great slathered with icing.  Both kids had them in their lunches and thought they were good but needed icing.  It didn't matter that I explained that muffins don't have icing on them.  It's a mental thing.  Try baking these - they are great muffins and only so - so at being a cupcake.  I won't make these again - I don't think.  It's too confusing for my brain.  :)

I brought the rest to work and put them in the lunch room anonymously with some post-it notes.  Here are the comments that I received: 
* Delicious! I don't usually like zucchini but it's perfect with the chocolate! Thank you!
* Super tasty! Well done!  A bit more dense than chocolate zucchini I've had in the past.  
* It was amazing! Loved the taste and it had the perfect amount of sweetness. Thank you!
* The zucchini adds a half Christmas-y feel to the muffin.  A great fall snack as it denotes the change of seasons.

No comments: