Monday, December 12, 2011

Vegetable Bean Soup

It has been awhile since I posted last. I have been cooking, I just haven't had a chance to post about it.

As many know, I could eat soup everyday. LOVE IT! So I am always on the lookout for new recipes to try. This months issue (#88) of Everyday Food Magazine had a great looking and healthy soup that whispered warm thoughts to me.

VEGETABLE BEAN SOUP

2 tbsp olive oil
2 med carrots, diced small
2 celery stalks, diced small
1 med onion, diced small
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
coarse salt & ground pepper
2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and draind*
1 can diced tomatoes
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth**
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme ans season with salt and pepper, cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, broth and parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.


RATINGS:
Heather - 10 - "Perfect for a cold winter day"
Work Crew - 9.5 - "Good Stuff"

NOTES:
* I didn't have cannellini beans so I used their cousin the white kidney bean
** I like chicken broth for soups, I find it adds more flavor than vegetable broth
*** You might have noticed some meat in the soup, I had some leftover sausage in the
fridge so I tossed that into the mix.

No comments: