Saturday, April 10, 2010

I could happily eat soup for lunch EVERY day. I love that they are usually quick, easy, inexpensive and can be really good for you. The soup de jour is Carmelized Onion and Lentil Soup and it fills all of these categories. The full recipe can be found in EDF issue#71 page 66.

Carmelized Onion and Lentil Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cans (15oz each) lentils, rinsed and drained
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper
Heat oil over med-high, add onion and cook until soft and browned.
Add lentils, broth, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
It says to smash some of the lentils with a spoon but I gave it a quick buzz with my immersion blender (a favorite kitchen item) to make it a bit thicker.
Top with a dollop of yogurt and fresh herbs (I used dill).

Rating:
Brad - not rated - he was at work
Heather - 7.5 - good, will make it again
This soup is good but not super exciting. The yogurt and herbs are what make the soup, make sure that you use them if you make it.


On to more exciting things, CHOCOLATE!!!!
For some reason buttermilk only comes in 1L cartons and I always have leftover buttermilk. A great way to use it up is my mom's Buttermilk Brownie recipe (I don't know where she got it from originally). I haven't made these in a really long time and after eating them I don't know why I waited so long. Yummy.

Buttermilk Brownies
In a saucepan combine
1 cup margarine
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.

In a large bowl stir together
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Stir in
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix until well blended. (Batter is very runny.)

Pour into a greased 15x10 baking pan. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.


I am not sure what happened but they came out of the oven VERY uneven. Good thing looks aren't everything.

Immediately frost with Cocoa Buttermilk Frosting.
In a saucepan mix together
1/2 cup butter, 3 tbsp cocoa powder and 3 tbsp buttermilk.
Cook and stir to boiling.
Remove from heat and beat in 1 1/2 cups icing sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Rating:
Brad - 8 - "Why haven't you made these before"
Heather - 9 - "I have to stop eating these"

1 comment:

Kandice said...

I went over to Heathers they day she made those brownies. Even though they were extremely unlevel they were excellent. :)