Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Salad and some Veggies

On Wednesday I tried 2 new recipes.

The first is from the Barefoot Contessa's "Back to Basics" cookbook.  It's called roasted parsnips and carrots.  It was a super easy recipe to follow and was quite basic - just some veggies, some spices and some olive oil.  My husband loved them, Mr. Picky even ate them and Miss Almost-Vegetarian loved them too. That means a winner in our minds!!

The second recipe was "Asian Spinach Salad" from  the "Carlson Family Cookbook - Volume 2".  Since I have the author's permission, I will post the recipe here:

8 cups packed baby spinach leaves
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 cup thin matchlike carrot sticks
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts
1/2 cup chow mein noodles
1/3 cup Kraft Asian Sesame dressing.

Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl.  Add noodles and dressing just before serving; toss to coat.

I used chives instead of green onions and I didn't have peanuts on hand so I used almonds.  Mr.Picky didn't like the salad and Miss Almost-Vegetarian wasn't a fan either.  I *REALLY* liked it but my husband just thought it was so-so (he liked the salad ingredients but didn't really like the dressing).

We had the salad and roasted veggies with M&M Meatshops Chicken Pasta Primavera.  All in all, a very tasty mid-week supper and far better than Kraft Dinner.  :)

1 comment:

Tera said...

I really wanted the roasted veggies recipe. I googled the name of it (along with the author) and found it online at the food network. If the recipes are available on the internet I wonder if you can post them here?? Anyhow, I found it and will try it :)