Thursday, April 8, 2010

Late Night Snack


We have been trying to eat a bit healthier lately so desserts haven't been plentiful around our place but after working out in the yard Monday evening I figured we deserved a treat.

I have always been intrigued by bread pudding recipes, maybe it's because I couldn't quite figure out what the heck a bread pudding might be. Still trying recipes from issue #71 of EDF I decided to try the Pineapple Bread Pudding recipe (it promised to be 3 easy steps) so that I could finally say that I have tried bread pudding.

Pineapple Bread Pudding
Butter a 1.5 quart baking dish.
Add in 3 eggs, 1/2 of a fresh pineapple (Melanie you can buy them already peeled) chopped into small pieces (about 1 1/2 cups), 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tbsp flour and whisk to combine.
Tear up white bread into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 cups) and layer over pineapple mixture.
Melt 6 tbsp unsalted butter and drizzle over top.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.




Ratings:
Brad - 8 to 9 - "other than on pizza I have never liked cooked pineapple before"
Heather - 8 - "warm and yummy"

This was supposed to serve 4 people but we ate the whole pan while it was still warm it was so good (I think that the pineapple was an exceptionally good one, it was so sweet and delicious). Brad says that we definitely have to eat this again and with how easy it was I am sure we will.

To those that have never tried a bread pudding . . . the "pudding" is more like a custard and there isn't a lot of it and the "bread" bits right on top are a nice and crunchy topping.

1 comment:

Cheerios_Addict said...

I think you need a peel a pineapple tutorial. LOL