Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hamburger Gravy

Ok...so this one wasn't new but it really is a favorite so I had to post it.   This is adapted from "Dine Without Whine" which was a sampler email sent out to me....

Hamburger Gravy and Mashed Potatoes

Prep: peel, chop and boil potatoes

Lean Ground Beef ( I use around 500g or slightly more depending what package I find in the store)
1 tsp seasoned salt (I don't actually measure this - GASP!)
1/4 cup flour
1 T dried minced onion (I used M&M Meatshops pre-chopped frozen onion)
4 cups milk
2 beef bouillon cubes
5 Potatoes (I make more because the gravy goes a long way)

Brown ground beef with onion and seasoning salt.  Drain ( I don't but I use extra lean ground beef). Return hamburger to pan and sprinkle flour over it.  Sitr until evenly coated.  Place skillet over medium heat, add 2 cups of milk and beef bouillion cubes.  Stir until gravy begins to thicken.  Add remaining milk until desired consistency has been reached (you may not need all of it) and gravy comes to a boil.  Serve over mashed potatoes.  Great served with green beans.



My husband takes great delight in outfitting everyone's plate with a "potato volcano" which we can then fill with hamburger gravy.  I love this dish and left to my own devices, I would probably make it every week.  However since I don't want anyone to get sick of it, I make it about every 3 weeks.  The best part of this dish is that EVERYONE really likes it - even Mr. Picky and Miss Almost-Vegetarian!!  Can we ask for anything more than that?

No comments: