Monday, March 29, 2010

Frosted Irish Cream Brownies

as adapted from the 2010 Pillsbury Dessert Recipies Calendar - "March"

1 box (1 lb. 3.8 oz) fudge brownie mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur (I used Mint flavoured 'cause that's what I had)
2 eggs

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter/marg, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 T irish cream liqueur
1/2 tsp vanilla
2-3 tsp milk

Glaze:
1oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
1 tsp butter/margerine

Heat oven to 350F. Grease bottom of 13x9 pan. In medium bowl stir brownie mix, oil, 1/4 cup liqueur and the eggs with spoon until well blended. Spread batter in pan. Bake 28-30 min or until brownies are set and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Do not overbake. Cool completely.



In small bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy. Beat in all remaining frosting ingredients adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency. Spread over cooled brownies. In small microwavable bowl, microwave glaze ingredients in high 30 seconds; stir until melted and smooth.  Drizzle over frosted brownies. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.




The brownie part of these was very tasty but I wasn't a huge fan of the icing.  I brought the pan into work with me today with only a couple of squares missing and the whole pan was eaten before 1pm so I think they went over well.  My husband thought they were really tasty without icing.  Mr. Picky said he liked his (a small piece)  but asked me not to make them again.  Miss Almost-Vegetarian who had about 1/3 of a square has a couple of nibbles before deciding she wanted to get down and read a book instead.  I think we'll give this recipe a pass in the future.

1 comment:

Krysta said...

I LOVED these brownies. I ate two, and the icing was pretty awesome! I probably would have preferred a different kind, I agree... but it lent a flavour similar to a nanaimo bar. Mmm! :)